Monday, October 12, 2009

Butternut Squash Soup

We made soup, we have been talking and thinking about it for about a month and today we finally made it.. and we are willing to share the recipe with all of you (really there are only like 2 of you that read this)
First get a butternut squash
Then, they say we need to cook with love so we loved our squash, you can hug it or play with it; we did both. (we also took it for a walk in the stroller around the block)(I don't think that is necessary)
Then cut your squash lengthwise and scoop out it's insides
Place it cut side down on a baking sheet and bake at 350 for 35-40 Min till it is soft

While it roasts look at it in the oven 'because you can',
then chop one small onion, or half of a large onion and dump it in your sink, pick it out thanking your lucky stars that your sink was clean (chances are usually slim that it is)
saute those onions with a tablespoon of butter, a pinch of nutmeg and some ginger till the onions are transparent

Add those onions to about 3 1/2 cups of chicken or veg. stock and simmer for about 10 min.
Once your squash is out, let it cool, then scoop the squash into a blender or food processor, half the squash with half the broth then the other half.

Add more stock or water to achieve the correct consistency.
Enjoy (we enjoyed so much that there are no pictures of our great soup in the bowl)

We are also stocking soups this fall for this winter. We saw Martha Stewart freezes her soups flat in ziploc bags and stands them up in a container in her freezer. I don't have a container but my new freezer is just the right size, I now have some chili, some from scratch apple pie filling and butternut squash soup. Sometimes when I'm having a bad day I open my freezer and look at them and it makes me happy :)

3 comments:

Amanda said...

aww i wanna be all domestic like you... i eat soup from a can.

Abi said...

soup from a bag, oh so much better...

Meg said...

Yum! I'm going to try it. It seems a lot easier than I thought it was!